Windows On Main Street : 2017
This project is a special exhibition that partners artists with local business owners to transform Beacon's streetscape. The collaborative work uses storefront displays as a means to foster dialogue between the artist and business-owner for the creation of site-specific work; between the specific work and passersby; and between the collective exhibition and the greater community at large.
THIS YEAR'S THEME:
The persistent drum of artists working here and their collective hum have been instrumental to creating intangible as well as economic value in Beacon, NY.
As the economic landscape of this city changes, this BeaconArts project is a means to raise awareness of the vital but sometimes invisible role artists play.
HOW IT WORKS
- Artists register their interest in specific storefronts (and a brief description of their concept)
- Collectively we (WOMS + the artist + the business) determine:
- Are other artists interested in the same window?
- Is the business owner keen on the concept presented?
- The artist and the business come to an understanding that they will work together.
- If an artist already knows exactly what business they want to work with, and the business is on board that's all that's needed to really confirm the pairing.
- In some cases, multiple artists want the same window -- in those cases, WOMS can help facilitate between the business and the artists' proposals, if needed.
- In some cases, an artist might not know where their concept will fit in best; we can help match you guys up.
- WOMS "locks in" the pairing ---- in other words, the only reason we hold off on pairing "announcements" (which is just between the artist and the business) is to give time to the cases where multiple artists are interested in the same window.
- In other words, technically, the pairings are not final until after the proposals come in, but in practice, if an artist and a business are on the same page, and there are no conflicts, then consider yourselves "partners" for the project.
Many thanks to our Sponsors